Australian Theatre of the Deaf aims to make a unique contribution to Australian culture by creating daring and bi-lingual theatre for the hearing and the deaf. In so doing, it hopes to promote understanding and awareness of cultural difference and increase the audience for deaf cultural expression.
PLEASE NOTE: ATOD IS NOT CURRENTLY TOURING OR PRESENTING PRODUCTIONS
- ATOD performs is a variety of styles and techniques including, visual theatre, visual vernacular, sign singing, shadow interpreting and mime.
- In the past, ATOD has performed to over 18,000 school children school across Australia each year.
- The Company prides itself on being fully accessible with no communication barriers.
- ATOD is a bilingual company – Auslan (Australian Sign Language) and English. To facilitate communication staff are supported by a sign language interpreter.
- Apart from government funding, the company relies on school work for its greatest income revenue. Other financial support is gained through sponsorship, membership program and donations.
- ATOD is the ONLY professional deaf company in Australia.
- We do our best to employ all deaf actors. From time to time the Company employs additional actors for mainstage productions depending on the characters created by the writer or director. These may be deaf or hearing depending on the roles required.