About Arts Access Victoria
Established in 1974, Arts Access Victoria is Australia’s founding and most experienced arts and disability organisation.
With a yearly turnover of more than 100 arts projects and initiatives that lead to an increased number of people with a disability creating and experiencing art, Arts Access Victoria is the state’s leading arts and disability organisation. Our focus is building the capacity of the arts, disability, community and education sectors to deliver increased and improved opportunities for arts and cultural participation for people with a disability.
Arts Access Victoria has a state-wide focus with programs in metro, outer-metro and regional Victoria. Our programs adopt a community-strengthening approach that is characterised by strong community-based partnerships, led by people with a disability. With extensive statewide networks across the arts, disability, community, local government and education sectors, Arts Access Victoria is in an ideal position to provide training, resources, mentorships, advice and information services for organisations and individuals from both the arts and disability sectors.
Recent examples of this work include:
- The 2010 Arts & Health Foundation Award recipient, ‘The Wall’– an innovative arts & mental health project
- The internationally-recognised The Other Film Festival, Australia’s only international disability film festival
- The Action on Cinema Access Campaign resulting in $2.5 million for accessible cinema and a new international benchmark
- The Emerald Hill Inclusive Arts Hub, the first of its kind in Australia, launched in January 2011 in partnership with Auspicious Arts Incubator. The Inclusive Arts Hub will provide a focal point on all aspects of inclusive arts practice and establish an incubator service for direct support of artists with a disability and their companies
- Award-winning Deaf Arts Network – a dynamic initiative that auspices Deaf Can Dance, Australia’s premier deaf dance company
- ACCESS Membership Service, advocating for increased access provisions for arts and cultural events, informing members about accessible events around Victoria, and providing discounted tickets.
Emerald Hill Inclusive Arts Hub
An Australian first, the Emerald Hill Inclusive Arts Hub is the result of a collaboration between Arts Access Victoria and Auspicious Arts Incubator, Australia’s only Arts Incubator dedicated to building the capacity of small independent artists and arts organisations to develop sustainable, efficient business practices. Supported by Arts Victoria, Department of Human Services and the City of Port Phillip, we have established a partnership built on the principles of social inclusion and universal access in which a passion for the arts is the only prerequisite for involvement. Through the Inclusive Arts Hub, we will foster new collaborations between independent artists with and without disabilities, breaking down barriers and realising creative potential.
Every year Arts Access Victoria handles over 12,000 requests for information and support. Whether it be an artist with a disability requiring training and professional development; an individual looking for accessible workshops and events; or an arts venue or organisation requiring consultation on accessibility, Arts Access Victoria provides the portal to accessible arts in Victoria.